God and LGBTQ

When people are asking questions about Christianity, the topic of homosexuality and LGBTQ (add other letters if you like) often comes up. For what it's worth, here's my very brief response and some further reading and help that I'd recommend.  I don't want to major on this issue but I do want to say something about it because it's a sticking point for so many.  Obviously (but maybe not so I'll say it anyway), I'm a Christian and I take the Bible seriously (which doesn't always mean taking it literally) and so my view is based on me trying to understand what the Bible says, because I believe God wrote it.  You may not believe this, but we can talk about that another time. :)

I believe the Bible shows us that God's intention for marriage is that it is for one man and one woman to become one flesh for one lifetime (Genesis 1:21-25, Romans 1:26-27). 

Christians should love everyone (God does!) but this doesn't mean they have to agree with the choices they make (God doesn't!).  I have good friends who know I don't agree with some of the choices they make when it comes to their sexual relationships and other things too (I know not everything's a choice but everybody still makes choices).  They know I care about them and we can also talk about our views and choices without falling out.

Jesus was a friend to people others regarded as sinful (Luke 5:27-32) because he came to save people who are sinful - which is all of us by the way! (Romans 3:23-24).  I believe people's greatest need is to know Jesus' forgiveness and love by trusting and following him.  God's forgiveness and love through Jesus is for everyone - gay, straight, rich, poor, young, old... whoever.

So that's what I believe but it might not be what you believe.  We can't all be right but we can pursue the truth without falling out.  Christianity should never be IMPOSED but should always be PROPOSED.

Questions:
  • What or who shapes your views when it comes to LGBTQ (or anything else)?
  • If God exists, why should we get to decide right from wrong?
  • What can you do to help people know you love and care about them even when you disagree strongly about something?
  • How did Jesus treat people others regarded as sinful? (Luke 5:27-32).
  • Why should anyone who's gay want you as their friend?

Further reading:
  • The Great Debate - Justin's view, Ron's view (2 Christians who are gay, with opposite views, explaining what they think the Bible really means to say on this issue.  Really helpful to read both if you're interested in understanding the Bible on this.)  
  • Q Christian Fellowship (a fab website by and for LGBTQ people who are Christians, whatever their views.) 
  • CBMW's Nashville Statement 2017 (a statement put out by a conservative evangelical organisation on this topic - I don't agree with all of it but I do think it's well worth a read if you're interested in Christianity and LGBTQ issues.)