Some quick answers to questions young people have asked me recently because of this video...
Q: Why do we learn about Christianity at school? It's boring.
A: I guess partly because RE is a legal requirement until you choose your GCSE options but I think this shows that the real reason is that people in education think it's important to teach people about different beliefs and values at school. I would suggest when it's taught well and people engage with it, it helps people develop their own beliefs and values and make sense of life more. In a way, it's the most important subject because it's an opportunity to explore the truth about why we're here.
Q: Where is God?
A: Short answer: everywhere (Psalm 139:1-18). The Bible says God is Spirit (John 4:24) so we can't see him with our physical eyes, except when he came to earth as a man (Colossians 1:15).
Q: Is the Bible 100% true?
A: I believe all the Bible is true and comes from God (2 Timothy 3:16-17). This doesn't mean it's all literally true. There's loads of different kinds of writing and we need to understand the intention of the writers in order to understand what they've written.
Q: How can he save everyone?
A: Another short answer: Because he's God and by definition he can do anything he wants (Luke 18:27).
Q: Why were Christians hated by the Romans?
A: Jesus taught about his kingdom and rule and Christians believed him, which meant they had another king other than Caesar - which was a big problem for Caesar because he was meant to be everyone's king. So Jesus basically presented a threat to his kingship (John 18:36-37). This was the main reason Romans hates Jesus and Christians.
Q: How do we know it's true?
A: Have a look here, here, here, or here!
Some of their comments on the video and the gospel message...
- It's a good way for some people to express their views.
- It's ok. Everyone has their own religion. That guy was cool. It's good he used music to explain!
- I don't really know. It's alright. That guy was pretty cool.
- Life changing.
- It's powerful, life-changing. I am a Christian. Great, inspirational video.
- It's for whoever believes and even if you don't believe, it's still there. The video was good.
- I'm not sure.
- Don't really understand the Bible.
- It seems alright.
- I'm a Christian so I believe.
- Don't understand much about it.
- An old-fashioned way for the king to collect extra taxes.
- Not really sure yet!?
- Christianity is a belief.
- Don't believe. You've got nothing to be saved from unless you believe.
- I don't really think about it.
- It's cool.
- The religion that was hated by the Romans.
- I think Christianity is a religion that inspires some people but not everyone believes in God.
- For some people it leads them through life.
- I don't believe in it but I think there's a heaven.